Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Divine providence and a rusted-through muffler

Whoever thought that God would save me (and my grandma) from possible pain and/or death by breaking my car?

Here's the story: it's yesterday afternoon.  My engine sounds unusually loud, then later as I am heading to the ferry I hear a CRACK, sccccccrrrrraaaaappppppeeeeeeee.... My muffler has bit the dust.  It has completely detached from the exhaust pipe and is dragging on the ground.  I'm mildly annoyed, because I have to drive to Seattle Thursday afternoon to visit Ilsa and take Grandma to my cousin's graduation.  (I can't exactly make that trip with a muffler hanging off the back of my car.)

Rewind a few months: my rear wheels have started making a clunking sound when I drive, as if they are oblong or square instead of round.  I take the car in to Les Schwab but they say that the tire is separated a bit, and although it's annoying it's not dangerous at all.  I decide not to get it fixed because I'm low on funds.

Fast-forward to today.  I take my car in to get the muffler fixed, and ask them to look at the tires and let me know what exactly the problem is and how much it will be to fix it.  Later, the guy calls me back and says "We put on a new muffler, no problem... but here's the deal with the wheels.  The back right tire is separated, which in essence makes it more square than round.  As a result, in some places the tire has worn so much that the tread is completely gone.  I don't like to scare customers, but you should get that fixed as soon as you can... it could blow out at any time."  Good to know.  We ended up taking the car back to Les Schwab and getting a new (used) tire for 30-some-odd dollars, because the old ones were "partially under warranty" (whatever that means).

Now, nobody can know if my tire really would have blown out on the way to Seattle.  But I do know that I wouldn't have had it looked at for another month, probably, had my muffler not fallen off; and this world is too full of God for me to believe in coincidences.  He truly does provide for us.

No comments: