Wednesday, November 01, 2006

afterthoughts on halloween

This was the first Halloween in my Whitworth career that has taken place on a class-day. Every other year it has occurred over Fall Break. So it was kind of fun to have the opportunity to dress up and wear weird things to class. The students who dressed up were definitely in the minority, but it was fun nevertheless. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment:

This one is of my friend Mary and I, before we went to a costume party at the Piano Theme House on the 30th. I was a farm girl; she was a 70s girl with a fro. We made a cute couple.

This next one is of my friend Michelle and I. We have both of our Tues/Thurs classes together in the same room (Christian Anthropology and World Religions), so we both wore costumes. I'm in one of my mom's old dresses from the 70s with a viking hat on my head, and Michelle is wearing this awesome orange dress that I found once at Value Village. I definitely wore that viking outfit all day. It was glorious.

Later that evening, we had a friend over to our house to make some pies and watch Hocus Pocus. I can't remember what exactly brought it about, but Katie and I ended up augmenting our costumes by using pillows to make us look pregnant and dancing in the kitchen while we cooked (I know, I know... just don't ask.) I think this picture is pretty funny. Pregnant women in the kitchen making pies: the epitome of the housewife stereotype.

So, in summary: as much as I dislike the connotations that surround Halloween, I've gotta admit that it provides a fun excuse to dress up, goof around, and eat candy.

No comments: